Tuesday 12 July 2011

In my hands

The first copy of Odd Bits is in my hands. It is very exciting to be holding something that you ave only seen on a computer screen or endless black and white printouts. There is still and always will be something special about a physical book. Here is a sneak peek......


The front and back covers. The cut piece of meat on the cover is half a pig's trotter and on the back is a dish of sweetbreads with morels and fava beans (broad beans in if you speak English and don't live in North America.

Anyone familiar with my first two books Bonesand Fat: An Appreciation of a Misunderstood Ingredient, with Recipeswill know that I love end papers. It is such a lot of space that is usually wasted in cookbooks. How beautiful is that tripe? Wouldn't it make a stylish cardigan?

And here is the contents page, the only place you can beg for a double page spread - love it! Want to see more? You'll have to wait until September.

PS: For anyone interested the cream didn't really soften the tannins in the red currant ice except, but it did make it paler and firmer in the freezer. On subsequent tastings the tannin doesn't bother me, the ice is refreshing, palate cleansing and delicious.

6 comments:

Diana said...

Absolutely beautiful Jennifer! I can't wait for September.

Jennifer said...

Thanks Diana.

Don Genova said...

This book will get a place of honor on the shelf along with my copies of Fat and Bones!

Unknown said...

I've been excited about this for a while! Can't wait! (I also like that it'll be released the day after my birthday).

And those tripe endpapers are as beautiful as the caul fat in your last book.

Anonymous said...

Great photos--can't wait to try the recipes. M & N

P.S. How were the eggs?

Jennifer said...

Thank you everyone for the kind comments.
And M & N haven't cracked one yet, have to eat up the old ones first.

Post a Comment