Wednesday 15 July 2009

Red Currants
















The red currants in my garden are ripening fast so I've been picking regularly for the last few days and carefully storing them in my refrigerator. I am waiting until I have enough raspberries that are ripening very slowly, to make a summer pudding. In the meantime I've added a handful of currants to a bowl of strawberries, their acidity enhances the strawberry flavour. Now that I am running out of bowls I decided to make a red currant ice. I followed the method outlined in Harold McGee's The Curious Cook: More Kitchen Science and Lore.
He has a very good chapter explaining fruit ices with tables giving the proportions of sugar and water to add to your fruit. It is an excellent place to start when making ices.I blended about 2 1/4 pounds/1 kg of fruit, stems and all, and ended up with just over 2 cups/500 ml of strained juice. I let the strained juice stand so any debris settled to the bottom and then poured off the clear juice into a clean measuring cup. Then I added 1 cup/200g of sugar and 2 tablespoons of water stirring until the sugar dissolved. I left this mixture in the refrigerator overnight and churned it this morning.
It is exactly the sort of ice I like, tart, refreshing and can be scooped straight from the freezer.

No comments:

Post a Comment