Tuesday 17 March 2009

There's magic in the Brussels Sprout

Almost a week ago I recited these words at the third annual Silver Sprout award given by Barbara-jo's Books-to-Cooks. John Bishop of Bishops restaurant, presented me with a wood sphere. Inside was a life-size, sterling silver Brussels sprout with the testimonial, created by the talented Robert Chaplin who was at the awards. It was a really delightful evening, check out the highlights and I met many fat lovers. This award is very special to me because it was Barbara-jo's customers, people who are very passionate about good food and cooking, who voted it.
My friends know that I am not a big fan of Brussels sprouts, they are somewhere with rutabaga (or Swede as I called it in Australia), in other words at the bottom of my vegetable list. Perhaps I don't like vegetables that are country specific?? Now I am compelled to give the Brussels sprout another chance much to my husband's delight. Rutabagas and Brussels sprouts are near the top of his vegetable list.
I will start with a recipe from Union Square Cafe Cookbookfor hashed sprouts with poppy seeds and lemon. It says in the recipe introduction that it will convert the most ardent Brussels-sprout hater into a connoisseur. There are some in my fridge, my husband bought them, so I'll try them tonight and let you know. And as I cook I will recite Robert's ode to the Brussels sprout -

"Sing and shout and dance about, there's magic in the Brussels sprout
Boiled up and served in butter, baked into a pie
I love to eat the Brussels sprout
To go without would make me cry!
Have faith and never ever doubt
There's magic in the Brussels sprout
In cheese sauce or in minestrone
I will stand and testify
I love to eat the Brussels sprout
To go without I'd rather die!"

1 comment:

Robert Chaplin rca said...

thanks for posting such a lovely article, and for so kindly reviewing my silver sprout.

Post a Comment